Transportation to and from Alaskan Sites
Scientists are generally responsible for transporting their team members and cargo from Fairbanks or Anchorage to the airport closest to their field site. With NSF approval, once at the field site, CH2M HILL Polar Services can arrange the air charter for local science support . Helicopters are the most common means of this local support.
CH2M HILL Polar Services requires that all researchers using CPS-chartered aircraft have emergency survival gear and a satellite phone on-board. You can carry your own equipment, or CPS can assist in providing these items.
Vehicles Available in Alaska
CH2M HILL Polar Services provides research teams in Alaska with vehicles for science project use. Available vehicles are snow machines, all-terrain vehicles, and trucks.
Snow Machines and All-Terrain Vehicles
- For overall use at camp locations
- Provided for specific science groups, as directed by the National Science Foundation
- Available at Toolik and Prudhoe Bay, as directed by the National Science Foundation
- Camp pick up trucks for shuttle and shared use
- Dedicated pick up trucks for specific researchers, as directed by the National Science Foundation
For current road conditions throughout Alaska please visit the Alaska 511 website.
Toolik Field Station Air Support
CPS develops a helicopter schedule for aircraft based at Toolik Field Station each spring. Return here to view the schedule, subscribe to email updates or RSS feeds, and add events to your personal calendar software.